Vibrant Broccoli Salad topped with Gochujang Coconut Chips
Blanching broccoli takes only 2 minutes to cook and creates a vibrant green! If you already have some chips stored in the freezer leftover from the deviled eggs, this vegan side dish will take minutes to prepare. Adding dry mustard powder to broccoli increases sulforaphane, which among its many benefits, helps slow aging! Sign me up!
- 1 4 qt stove pot (You can use a smaller pot, you will simply cook in batches)
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 baking sheet (any equipment you use to roast veggies works)
- 1 colander optional, allows for easier water straining and drying
- 4 cups Broccoli
- 1 Sweet Onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 3 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Dry Mustard Powder
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise with Avocado Oil Primal Kitchen brand
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
Gochujang Coconut Chips
- 1 cup Raw Unsweetened Coconut Chips
- 1 tsp Gochujang
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp Coconut Aminos (or Tamari)
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Preheat oven to 375℉
- Cut off ends of ONION and cut in half. Peel and cut into slices.
- Cut RED BELL PEPPER in half. Remove stem. Cut off inside white parts. Cut into slices equal to onion.
- Place onion and bell pepper on parchment lined baking sheet or stoneware dish.
- Lightly coat onion and bell pepper with EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL and spread out. Place in oven on middle rack and roast until soft. Check after 20 min.
- While roasting, fill your stove pot with water 2 inches shy of the top. You want to be able to cover all the broccoli without water spilling out. Add a 2 finger pinch of SALT. Bring to a boil.
- Make an ice bath by putting ice in a large bowl or container, big enough for the broccoli to submerge. Fill with water leaving 1 inch from the top so water doesn't spill over when adding broccoli.
- Cut BROCCOLI into small florets.
- Place broccoli in boiling water. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Take broccoli out with a spider skimmer or slotted spoon, and place immediately in the ice bath.
- Allow broccoli to sit in the ice bath for a few minutes then strain out water. If you have one, dump into a colander to allow for easier drying. Allow to air dry more while you make the MUSTARD SAUCE.
- In mixing bowl, mix all MUSTARD SAUCE ingredients till smooth.
- Add broccoli to mustard sauce and mix to coat broccoli using a spoon or spatula.
- Cut up roasted onion and bell pepper small and add to broccoli bowl and mix to combine using spoon or spatula.
- For extra brightness, add a squeeze of LEMON!
- When ready to serve, top with GOCHUJANG COCONUT CHIPS
GOCHUJANG COCONUT CHIPS
- Oven is at 350℉
- Mix all ingredients except coconut.
- Add coconut chips and mix to coat.
- Spread out gochujang coconut unto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake on middle rack for 15-20 min. Until outer perimeter is dark brown. Will crisp as they cool.
If you only have a small pot to work with, no worries! I just upsized my pots a month ago. You just simply have to blanch broccoli in batches! Coconut chips freeze very well. Any leftover, place in a ziplock freezer bag to enjoy for weeks! Speaking of coconut chips, if you don’t have gochujang, you can leave out! For spicy, you could sprinkle on cayenne powder or any of your favorite hot sauce! The nutrition facts is everything but the coconut chips. Every 1 tbsp coconut chips you use will add 22 cals and 2 g fat.
Calories: 243kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 4gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0.003gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 843mgPotassium: 469mgFiber: 4gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 1119IUVitamin C: 90mgCalcium: 85mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!