Beets are arguably one of the prettiest vegetables out there. Unfortunately they can be a little messy to prep. Although I can't take away the temporary pink hands, I can show you a way to endure it only once a month and with beets' body benefits as well as being part of the often hard to obtain BIV part of the rainbow, it's worth it.
A LITTLE FOOD SCIENCE...
Beets contain nitrates that are converted to nitric acid, a molecule that helps open up your blood vessels increasing blood flow and feeding more oxygen to your working muscles therefore increasing our stamina. It's believed the peak time of nitric oxide to do its magic is 2-3 hours after ingesting. So if you work out after work, pickled beets would be a perfect ingredient to include in your lunch!
Pickling beets is my favorite way to enjoy them for a handful of reasons.
1. Easy to do. Simple process.
2. Keeps fresh for several weeks. I have kept a jar for over a month!
3. The beets stay raw ensuring all the nutrients aren't cooked out.
4. You can enjoy as little or many slices as you want without the rest spoiling! Beets provide us with lots of benefits but they also contain sugars. Some intense work out days maybe we could eat 1 small beet (guys could probably handle 1 medium), but other days 1 oz would suffice!
5. They bring a different flavor to your lunch. Adding dimension to a meal makes it more satisfying!
You sold yet? ;) Simple recipe below. If you don't have a mandoline, you can slice thinly with a knife or you could shred with a grater instead.
If you give this recipe a shot or have questions please comment below and be sure to follow NutraCouture on IG and FB and to sign up for the enewsletter to receive recipes like this by clicking here.