My design inspiration for this dish came from turnips I had spiralized using the thicker noodle blade on the spiralizer. Not the spaghetti style, not the curls, the thicker fettuccine looking noodles.
Turnips look like potatoes, so I went with a potato latke makeover.
Turnips are kind of the red headed stepchild of the cruciferous family. They don't get used very much, but they should as they are full of detoxing, body toning fiber & anti aging, anti wrinkle face vitamin C. They do in fact..nip. :)
They have a little bite to them, & still maintain that taste a bit in the latkes, but topped with other razzle dazzle, you won't really experience it.
Now get to it. ;)
BBQ Cheeze TurNIP Latkes
Small turnips, 3, or 1 big one, peeled & thick spiralized noodles
1 egg & 1 egg white
Coconut flour, 2 Tbsp-1/4 cup
sea salt, 1/4 tsp
Cashew Chz Sauce:
1 cup soaked cashews (If not soaked no worries, you will just need to add more water)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup water
Sweet onion, 1/2 sliced thin
Egg Whites, 2
1. In one bowl beat eggs with fork
2. In a separate bowl add coconut flour. Start with 2 Tbsp & add as needed. Add salt and combine with spoon.
3. Heat up 1 Tbsp of coconut oil in medium high heat pan.
4. With hands mix some turnip noodles in the flour. Enough to make a small 2" diameter cake.
5. Mix floured turnip noodles in beaten egg. Enough to just coat.
6. Place in heated pan.
7. Repeat with rest of the noodles. Should be enough for 4 2" cakes.
8. Flip once to cook through.
Cashew Chz Sauce:
Place all ingredients in MagicBullet or high speed blender. Blend till smooth. Add water 1 Tbsp at a time if needed. Want it to be saucy.
Cook up sliced onions with BBQ seasoning in pan that has been coated with coconut oil.
Fry up on pan like you would omelette.
De pitt one half. Spoon out with big spoon. Lie flat face side down on cutting board. Slice as if you were skinning a fish.
Top cakes with the fun stuff. Enjoy with knife and fork!
Question: Do you like the way ingredients is written out under cakes (amounts after ingredients) or under the sauce (amounts before ingredients)?